Sunday, August 29, 2010

"Questions from a Young Seminarian"

A number of months ago I was introduced to a twenty-something student at Fuller Texas Seminary. He and I have been together for various reasons three times and have e-mailed some in-between. He is full of questions--especially questions about character and living for Christ in life and in ministry. He is inquisitive--really good at synthesizing ideas. He and his wife are also new parents. He says he is planning on registering for the class that I may be teaching at Fuller Texas next spring called "Leadership and Character."

I was with him this past Wednesday and he was peppering me with some more really good questions. They were the kind of quality questions I wish I had been asking when I was in seminary.

It made me remember what a time of growth and change my 20s were. During that decade I journeyed from being a college student, into marriage, through seminary, into fatherhood twice, into a year of associate pastoring and then three years of church planting before I reached thirty. It was a decade of huge change, huge growth and lots of lessons learned--some by listening and acting on the advice of others and others the hard way.

I enjoyed answering the questions of my young seminarian friend this past week. It got me to thinking that others may gain from his questions and my attempt to answer them. I believe I will periodically include here a question from this young seminarian and my answer. Lets see if it is of assistance to anyone else.

Peace and Hope,

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment