Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Breathing through the Journey of Grief #4

One of our authors, Lois Hoogeveen, lost her husband in early March to a battle with cancer, which began just 3 months earlier. Jim and Lois had pastored 5 churches, 2 they planted. At the time they were hit with this disease they were transitioning into specialized transitional ministry for the next season of their full time ministry. They were and are good friends of Ascending Leaders. Through the journey with cancer, Jim and Lois wrote and shared their "breath prayers," each day. "Breath Praying" is something they had first learned seven years ago from the Ascending Leaders Christ Habits book Prayer: Listening to God's Voice.

Since Jim's passing, Lois has been continuing to write excellent reflections on this journey along with breath prayers. She has consented to allow us to share some with you. Lois is also the core author of one of our newest workbooks:  Your Pathways: Strong Connection with God.


Breath Prayer: ROOTED
Lois Hoogeveen
July 8, 2012

If I had known that a walk through the neighborhood on a beautiful November day would lead to a root canal seven months later I would have stayed home. But I didn’t know and I went for a walk. Catching the toe of my shoe on a ridge in the sidewalk, I took a nosedive into the concrete. The rest is history. After a few weeks, my cut lip, bruised eye, swollen nose and shifted front tooth looked the same -- on the outside. On the inside, however, my tooth is forever changed. Changed but not destroyed. This week I had a root canal. The endodontist drilled the unhealthy tissue out of the root and filled it with a substance that will keep the root a strong anchor for my tooth.

On that same November day, my husband went to the doctor because he had a persistent cough. The rest is history. On the outside my life looks the same. On the inside it is forever changed. Changed but not destroyed.

The swelling and bruises on my face went away, but the pain and discomfort lingered. There were days when I didn’t notice it so much, and then other days the throbbing persisted. It was no longer obvious to the casual observer that my face had been injured. But for me the dull ache was often there.

That’s also how I experience grief. The initial trauma is gone, but the longer term impact of loss causes episodes of swelling and tenderness in my inner being. Antibiotics healed the infection that developed because of the trauma to my tooth. Similar to an antibiotic, the Word of God functions as a combatant to my feelings of sadness and disappointment that naturally come with loss, infusing me with words of comfort, peace, joy and hope.

I have had three different experiences with roots this week.  The root canal made me grateful for skilled professionals and modern technology that saved my tooth by treating the root. My second experience with roots was not to save but to destroy.  I extracted prickly thistles one by one from my back yard, working diligently to not just get the plant but also the root, in an attempt to eradicate these obnoxious weeds from my lawn. My third experience with roots fills me with appreciation and gratitude for my personal roots. A family gathering reminded me of the richness of the roots of my heritage.

My breath prayer is that God will keep me ROOTED in Him as I recover from the distress of death and rediscover the joy of living. Many people have been influential in helping me become rooted and established in the Lord’s unfailing love -- my parents, teachers, friends, and my dear husband. Deep spiritual roots provide strength that helps us endure storms of any kind – chronic illness, terminal disease, death, unemployment, financial fallout, betrayal, rejection to name a few. Trials of many kinds will affect us while we live on earth. See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up. (Hebrews 12:16) The impact of painful circumstances may leave us changed, but we need not be destroyed. Not when we are rooted in the love of Jesus, Christ dwells within us and we are filled with the fullness of God.

ROOTED I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge – that you may be filled the measure of all the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:16-19

No comments:

Post a Comment