Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Walking the Journey of Grief--One Breath Prayer at a Time #17


Breath Prayer: MYSTERY
Lois Hoogeveen
December 16, 2012

I enjoy a good mystery, whether reading a book or watching a movie. I like the suspense of the unknown, the development of a plot as it thickens and unfolds, feeling personal satisfaction when my prediction of the outcome or verdict is correct as well as enjoying the “I didn’t see that coming” moment when the final moments take me by surprise. As much as I like mystery in the fictional world, I am not a fan of suspense in the real world. I would rather know what to expect in my life and not be surprised by unforeseen circumstances.

Both birth and death have many elements of mystery, drama and suspense with numerous unexpected, untimely, unpredictable and uncontrollable twists and turns. No two births or deaths are exactly the same. There is mystery in the survival of a newborn baby who enters the world too soon and too tiny. There is mystery in the loss of a loved one who leaves this earth suddenly and unexpectedly. There is mystery in a newborn taking that first breath. There is mystery in a loved one who suffers intensely and yet lingers day after day, week after week. There is mystery when a child’s physical and mental development  does not progress in sync. There is mystery in the loss of a loved one’s memory and mental capacity while his or her physical body remains strong and healthy.

We have been taught to take responsibility for our health. Thus parents take their children in for well checks and adults go to doctors for annual physicals. We bike, jog, walk on treadmills, work out on elliptical machines and lift weights. We make healthy food choices. We take vitamins and supplements. Even more important, we are responsible for our spiritual physique. How diligent are we taking time in the Word and Prayer to improve our spiritual health?

The story of each of our lives is being written by the Author of life. Only the Creator and Sustainer of life knows the plot of each one of us from beginning to end. We must always be ready for the end Why does He not reveal the mystery, giving us a clue about the details of how long we will be on earth? I believe this is His way of developing and deepening our trust in Him. We know the day will come when life on earth will end. We might have forewarning, knowing when our earthly life is almost over.  It might be an abrupt, unexpected ending. Unlike a novel we read, we do not know the length of our story. We cannot progress through life as we do with a book or movie, knowing when the mystery will soon conclude because there are only a few more pages to turn or a few more minutes left until the end of the show. However, those who believe in the Author and Redeemer of life do know how the story will ultimately end even though we do not know the when the end of life on earth will come.

Sometimes life feels like a slow-moving movie and we just wish the end would come. Unlike a movie, we do not have a fast-forward button in life that brings us to the end quicker because we want the drama to be done. Unlike a book, we do not have the option to skip pages to get to the end of the story. Neither do we have a rewind button. I wish we would have had more pages in the story of my husband’s life – both during the chapters of health as well as during the chapters of cancer. We never had a season of remission to rest and regroup and better prepare for the imminent end. Sometimes I wish we could go back a year or two, when we were both healthy and active and doing so much together. Sometimes I wish we had talked more about certain things. Sometimes I wish we had spent more time just being together. Going back is not a choice God gives us. Now I must learn to live each day with “can’t-put-it-down” anticipation of the plot God is unfolding in this mysterious new way of living. Believing God has the mystery of my life under His control takes faith in the “I AM” of my life.  “I am your Sustainer, I am your Provider, I am your Protector, I am your Friend, I am Sovereign, I am Lord” connects every word, every sentence, every paragraph, every page, every chapter of my story.

The story of the birth, life and death of Jesus Christ is certainly in the mystery genre. There were and continue to be more questions about how, why, when and so what than have ever been asked about any other child who was born in this world. Jesus’ mother didn’t press God for the details. She treasured the mystery of life, knowing that with life comes death. While others were amazed at her child, Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. (Luke 2:19) Many of the details of Jesus’ life and death have been revealed to us. Are we amazed at the mystery of God’s love? Do we treasure how He impacts our story? Do we trust God’s wisdom and knowledge enough to follow Him even when we cannot trace His path for our life?

God wrote the beginning and the end of each of our stories before we were even born. He is the Director of our life. Our days are numbered. We cannot fathom the mystery of how He knows every detail of our lives, what was, what is and what is to come. One thing we know, as His child, is that in life and in death, we belong to Him. Heidelberg Catechism #1: My only comfort in life and death is that I am not my own but belong to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ. He is the Author of every moment of my life.

MYSTERY Can you fathom the mysteries of God? Job 11:7

Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! Who has known the mind of the Lord? Romans 11:33-34

The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law. Deuteronomy 29:29

No comments:

Post a Comment